Saturday 4 June 2011

Happy birthday to me! =P


Last year, I spent my 27th birthday recovering from the second of three surgeries, the one in which the J-pouch was constructed. This surgery was more complicated than the previous one, but it was over sooner than my surgeon expected and everything went really well, he said, when he came to see me soon after I woke up.
I didn't feel so good though. My body was numb and I felt no pain, but I experienced the worse sickness I have ever had and I was weak, so weak I could barely talk, so I nodded when he gave the good news!
My poor boyfriend, sitting next to me, couldn't get a word out of my mouth. I couldn't even stand the touch of his hand on my hand. I think I just needed to switch off my brain and stay still, because every single movement I'd do, every single little attempt of my brain to even pay attention to anything that was happening, even the touch of my boyfriend's hand, was painfully exhausting!
 

As the days went by I got better and soon I was discharged from hospital and went home with a smile on my face.
Everything seemed to be going well but then the sickness came back, and I became weaker. For all I knew that was normal (after all I was recovering from a big surgery), until I became so sick and weak I could barely get up. I spent my birthday lying on the settee, feeling sorry for myself, alternating between opening presents and being sick. My sisters and boyfriend did the best they could to make feel better and put a smile on my face but the next day I couldn't cope any longer and they took me to A&E
The way I was feeling wasn't so normal after all. The sickness and weakness were symptoms of severe dehydration, a consequence of inflammation in the pouch. After several exams I was put on antibiotics and a week later I finally got out of hospital again.

Today, I feel like a completely different person and sometimes it's hard to believe how far I have come.
Every time I think about what I have gone through, a tear appears in the corner of my eye, but at the same time I know it was all worth it. As someone once said, "nothing that's worth having comes easy", and oh boy, I'm so grateful for the way I feel today! I still visit the toilet more often than a "normal" person, but I can usually wait for a more convenient time to go and I have no pain which is amazing. I'm also almost medicine free (I'll get there!).
So today I'll celebrate not only my birthday, but the (so far) successful J-pouch that has given me my life back. I'll go for a nice meal with my boyfriend and I'll eat whatever I fancy. Afterwards we'll have drinks with friends.

Happy birthday to me! =P


O ano passado, passei o aniversário dos meus 27 anos a recuperar da segunda de três operações, aquela em que foi construída a bolsa ileoanal. Esta operação foi mais complicada que a anterior, mas acabou mais cedo do que o meu cirurgião esperava e correu tudo muito bem, disse ele, quando me veio ver pouco depois de eu ter acordado.
No entanto, eu não me sentia tão bem. Tinha o corpo "adormecido" e não sentia dor, mas senti o pior enjoo que alguma vez tive e estava fraca, tão fraca que mal podia falar, então acenei com a cabeça quando ele me deu a boa notícia!
O pobre do meu namorado, sentado ao meu lado, não conseguia arrancar-me uma palavra. Não conseguia sequer suportar o toque da mão dele na minha mão. Apenas precisava "desligar o cérebro" e ficar assim bem quieta, porque qualquer movimento que fizesse, qualquer pequena tentativa do meu cérebro em prestar atenção a qualquer coisa que acontecesse, até mesmo o toque da mão do meu namorado, era dolorosamente desgastante!


Com o passar dos dias fiquei melhor, tive alta do hospital e fui para casa com um sorriso no rosto.
Parecia que tudo estava a correr bem, mas entretanto o enjoo voltou, e comecei a ficar mais fraca. Tanto quanto sabia era normal sentir-me assim (afinal estava a recuperar de uma grande operação), até que fiquei tão enjoada e fraca que mal me conseguia levantar. Passei o meu aniversário deitada no sofá, a sentir pena de mim mesma, alternando entre abrir presentes e vomitar. As minhas irmãs e o meu namorado fizeram o melhor que podiam para me fazer sentir bem e me colocar um sorriso na cara, mas no dia seguinte eu já não podia mais e eles levaram-me às emergências.
Afinal, não era tão normal a maneira como me estava a sentir! O enjoo e a fraqueza eram sintomas de desidratação intensa, uma consequência de inflamação na bolsa ileoanal. Depois de vários exames puseram-me a antibióticos e uma semana depois, finalmente, sai do hospital.

Hoje sinto-me uma pessoa completamente diferente, e às vezes é difícil de acreditar o quão longe eu já cheguei.
Sempre que penso sobre o que passei fico com os olhos em água, mas ao mesmo tempo, sei bem que valeu a pena. Como alguém já disse, "nada que vale a pena ter vem fácil", and oh boy, como estou grata pela forma como me sinto hoje!
Ainda vou à casa de banho com mais frequência que uma pessoa "normal", mas posso aguentar até uma altura mais conveniente e não tenho dores o que é fantástico. Também já não tomo quase medicação nenhuma (lá chegarei!).
Por isso, hoje vou celebrar não só o meu aniversário, mas também o sucesso (até agora) da bolsa ileoanal que me trouxe a minha vida de volta. Vou jantar fora com o meu namorado e vou comer o que me apetecer. Depois vamos beber uns copos com os amigos.

Happy birthday to me! =P

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday! I'm so glad this latest surgery is giving you back your life! You are an inspiration!

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete