Saturday 11 June 2011

Uncover Ostomy


The girl in the pictures is Jess, the face of Uncover Ostomy, an online awareness campaign that stimulates a positive ostomy discussion.
Jess is a 21-year-old Canadian university student that leads a perfectly normal life. She suffers from Crohn's disease and has lived with an ostomy since she was 13. The campaign features a series of pictures that reveal her ostomy. She also writes a blog about herself that intends to show how normal life with a pouch can be.

We are used to talk about a variety of illnesses with no problem but when it comes to illnesses involving the bowel such as IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease), in which one of the most common symptoms is diarrhea, things change. We get too embarrassed and uncomfortable. Things get even worse when such illnesses get so bad that the only solution is to remove part or the whole bowel and have a stoma.

I remember the first time I was told I needed surgery.
About 6 years ago, a month after moving to England, I ended up in the hospital with a severe flare up. A high dose of steroids had no effect and I was still going to the loo over 20 times a day! I felt weak and tired and lost about 10kg. Eventually a surgeon came to talk to me. Then the stoma nurse came and made a mark on my tummy where the stoma would be. I cried in silence for two days. I felt desperate, scared, angry... I couldn't believe I was going to have to poo in a bag. I couldn't imagine how my life would be like from then on. I thought I would never be able to go to the beach again, or even to wear my normal clothes or how could I ever be intimate with someone, and so on. I knew only the little information the stoma nurse had given me, but that wasn't enough. That is why awareness campaigns like this one are so amazing. We need to be able to talk about it without embarrassment. We need to know what an ostomy is and how life can be as normal as before, so when people have to go through the difficult times that are illnesses they feel they are supported by family, friends and society in general. So then they know that everybody knows that having an ostomy is in fact not a big deal.

I didn't had the surgery back then. Steroids suddenly began to work and I felt relieved and so, so happy...only to have my colon removed 5 years later. This time I was better prepared and although I no longer have an ileostomy I lived with one for over a year. The worries I had the first time surgery was mentioned now sounded silly.
Yes, I had about half an inch of my small bowel coming out of my tummy and a bag attached to collect waste. There was no smell except when emptying in the toilet (no one's poo smells like roses right?!), I was still wearing my normal clothes, skinny jeans and some fitted tops, I put a swimming suit on and went swimming, I ate pretty much everything I felt like and drunk alcohol and the bag didn't come in the way of intimacy.
Obviously I don't mean to say that everything is a piece of cake, because that wouldn't be true. Recovering from surgery takes its time and can be very difficult but it's usually worth it. After all it's major surgery and it's a big change to the body. You need time to adjust physically and emotionally.
I used to find the whole routine of changing the bag every morning very boring, but we do get used to so many routines, this is just one more. I also tend to get more dehydrated than normal, as I no longer have the colon to absorb water back into my body; I need to make sure I drink plenty of water throughout the day. There may be other little things to have in consideration when living with an ostomy (be it a colostomy, an ileostomy or a urostomy) but once you're back being healthy again you don't care if you may have to moderate the amount of juice you have in one go and other things like that.

Have a look at Uncover Ostomy even if you don't have an ostomy and don't know anyone with one. If you can, share it. :)

 
A rapariga das fotografias chama-se Jess e é a cara de Uncover Ostomy uma campanha de sensibilização online que incentiva uma discussão positiva sobre ostomias.
A Jess tem 21 anos, é canadiana, estudante universitária e leva uma vida perfeitamente normal. Ela sofre da doença de Crohn e vive com uma ostomia desde os 13 anos. A campanha mostra uma série de fotografias que revelam a sua ostomia e também um blog sobre ela própria com o objectivo de mostrar que a vida com uma ostomia pode ser muito normal.

Estamos habituados a falar sobre várias doenças sem problema algum, mas quando se trata de doenças do intestino tais como as DII (Doenças Inflamatórias do Intestino), em que um dos sintomas mais comuns é a diarreia, as coisas mudam. Ficamos embaraçados e desconfortáveis. A coisa ainda se torna mais grave quando estas doenças pioram de tal forma que a única solução é remover parte ou até mesmo o intestino todo e ficar com um estoma.

Lembro-me bem da primeira vez que me disseram que eu precisava de ser operada.
Há cerca de 6 anos atrás, um mês depois de me mudar para Inglaterra, acabei por ir parar ao hospital com uma crise grave. Uma dose alta de cortisona não fez efeito e eu continuei a ir à casa de banho mais de 20 vezes por dia! Sentia-me fraca, cansada e perdi cerca de 10kg. Eventualmente, um cirurgião veio falar comigo. Depois veio a enfermeira estomaterapeuta que fez uma marca na minha barriga onde o estoma se ia localizar. Chorei em silêncio durante dois dias. Senti-me desesperada, assustada e com tanta raiva… Não conseguia acreditar que ia ter que fazer cocó para dentro de um saco. Não conseguia imaginar como seria a minha vida dali para a frente. Pensei que nunca mais ia poder ir à praia, ou até usar as minhas roupas normais, ou como é que alguma vez eu podia ter intimidade com alguém, e assim por diante. Só tinha a pouca informação que a enfermeira estomaterapeuta me tinha dado, mas não era suficiente. É por isso que campanhas de sensibilização como esta são tão fantásticas. Precisamos ser capazes de falar sobre o assunto sem constrangimento. Precisamos saber o que é uma ostomia e que a vida com uma ostomia pode ser tão normal como antes, então quando pessoas têm de passar pelos momentos difíceis que são as doenças, elas sentem que são apoiadas pela família, amigos e sociedade em geral. Então elas sabem que toda a gente sabe que ter uma ostomia não é de facto um bicho-de-sete-cabeças.

Não fui operada na altura. A cortisona começou a fazer efeito de repente e senti-me aliviada e tão contente, acabando por retirar o cólon 5 anos mais tarde. Desta vez estava mais bem preparada e apesar de já não ter uma ileostomia, vivi com uma por mais de um ano. As preocupações do passado agora pareciam sem importância.
Sim, tinha cerca de 1,5 cm do intestino delgado a sair pela minha barriga e um saco para recolher as fezes. Não havia cheiro exceto quando esvaziava na casa de banho (ninguém cheira a rosas, certo?!), continuei a usar as minhas roupas normais, skinny jeans e alguns topes justos, vesti um fato de banho e fui nadar, comi praticamente tudo o que me apeteceu e bebi álcool e o saco nunca atrapalhou na intimidade.
Obviamente que não pretendo dizer que tudo é fácil, porque isso não seria verdade. Recuperar de uma operação leva o seu tempo e pode ser muito difícil mas geralmente vale a pena. Afinal, é uma grande cirurgia e também uma grande alteração para o corpo. É preciso tempo para recuperar fisicamente e emocionalmente.
Eu costumava achar a rotina de mudar o saco todas as manhãs uma seca, mas habituamo-nos a tantas rotinas, esta é só mais uma. Também tenho tendência a ficar mais desidratada que o normal, uma vez que já não tenho o cólon para absorver água de volta para o organismo; tenho de ter atenção para beber água suficiente durante o dia. Talvez haja outras pequenas coisas a ter em consideração quando se vive com uma ostomia (seja uma colostomia, uma ileostomia ou uma urostomia) mas quando se volta a ter saúde deixamos de nos importar com coisas como moderar a quantidade de sumo que se bebe de uma vez só e outras coisas do género.

Dá uma olhada a Uncover Ostomy mesmo que não tenhas uma ostomia e não conheças ninguém com uma. Se puderes, partilha. :)

(Nota: Infelizmente a informação em português sobre ostomias e DII é escassa. Se puderes segue os links em inglês.)




4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story and her link.

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the information. Most of the people don't know about this problem. All we need is that to have patience and a fighting spirit for our life. If you face any problem in wearing cloths after any Stoma operation you should use Ostomy Lingerie as they are mainy designed for this purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ostomy family of medical procedures is a wide and varied group that serves many purposes and functions in the medical community. This includes procedures such as a colostomy, ileostomy, and urostomy. Whether it's keeping a patient healthy and alive for years to come or simply facilitating the healing process for an injured or ill patient while their body recovers, the OstomyLifestyle.org procedure is as versatile as it is effective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. Well what can I say is that these is an interesting and very informative topic on ostomy stoma

    ReplyDelete