Wednesday 4 May 2011

Health is precious


Image from here


It's been just over 3 months since my last surgery and I can't believe how good I feel already!

I lived with ulcerative colitis for over 5 years. I tried all sorts of medicines, prescribed and alternative, but they all failed to treat me.
Eventually, what I feared the most became the only thing I wanted. Surgery. To have my whole colon taken out, for once and for all. What I wasn't so sure about was whether to have a J-pouch or just stay with the ileostomy forever.
For most of you this decision may sound very easy, but when you're told that it can take up to 24 months until the pouch fully settles, and that even then there is no guarantee of success, you begin to wonder if that's the right thing to do. It wasn't an easy decision but I knew I'd regret it if I didn't try.

The last 15 months have been particularly difficult. I had three surgeries, two of them major. Recovering was far from easy, but that aside, living with an ileostomy is not as hard or weird as one may think. There are few restrictions, if any, on what to wear or eat. You just need to be sensible. I went on holiday, enjoyed a few days on the beach and swam in the ocean. No one ever knew I had an ileostomy unless I told them.

 The first month after the last surgery, when my J-pouch was already working, it felt unbearable. Adjusting to this new system inside me was difficult. At times, I thought I had made a really bad decision, but these things do take time, and patience is something I have been forced to learn. Now, I think I have made the best decision ever. I couldn't be happier. I can't believe how good and healthy I feel already. I had forgotten how amazing it feels to have energy and to be able to do things. Life with an internal pouch is better than I can remember, and it's still very early days. I still hope to improve more, much more! :)


Só passaram pouco mais de três meses desde a minha última cirurgia e eu nem consigo acreditar que me sinto tão bem!

Vivi com colite ulcerosa por mais de cinco anos. Tentei todos os tipos de medicamentos, prescritos e alternativos, mas nenhum deles funcionou.
Eventualmente, o que eu mais temia tornou-se na única que coisa que eu queria. Cirurgia. Tirar todo o meu intestino grosso, de uma vez por todas. O que eu não tinha tanta certeza era se queria ter uma bolsa ileoanal ou simplesmente ficar com a ileostomia para sempre.
Para a maioria de vocês esta decisão pode até parecer muito fácil, mas quando te dizem que pode demorar 24 meses para a bolsa ileoanal estabilizar, e que mesmo assim não há garantia de sucesso, começa-se a questionar se esse é o caminho certo. Não foi uma decisão fácil, mas sabia que me iria arrepender se não tentasse.

Os últimos 15 meses foram particularmente difíceis. Fui operada 3 vezes, duas das operações foram de grande porte. A recuperação estava longe de ser fácil, mas isso à parte, viver com uma ileostomia não é tão difícil ou estranho como se pode pensar. Há muito poucas restrições, se alguma, sobre o que vestir ou comer. Só é preciso ter bom senso. Eu fui de férias, aproveitei alguns dias na praia e nadei no mar. Ninguém nunca soube que eu tinha uma ileostomia a não ser que eu lhes tenha dito.

O primeiro mês após a última operação, quando a bolsa ileoanal já estava a funcionar, pareceu-me insuportável. Adaptar-me a este novo sistema dentro de mim foi difícil. Por vezes pensei que tinha tomado a decisão errada, mas estas coisas levam tempo, e paciência é algo que tenho sido forçada a aprender.
Agora, acho que tomei a melhor decisão de sempre. Não podia estar mais contente. Mal posso acreditar que me sinto tão bem e tão saudável. Já tinha esquecido o quão incrível é a sensação de ter energia e ser capaz de fazer coisas. A vida com uma bolsa ileoanal é melhor do que eu me lembro, e ainda é muito cedo. Ainda espero melhorar mais, muito mais ! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment